4.18.2009

An Honesty of Expression

I think I might start writing music.
I realize this could turn out to be not my thing. Sometimes that kind of endeavor just doesn't work out.

But I can't imagine my life without music.

Every time I'm in my room, I have music playing. Every time I work out, I have music playing. Every boyfriend I've ever had has been a musician. Over half of my best friends are musicians. And I think going to concerts is my anti-drug. (Which is kind of ironic.) The one year of high school that I wasn't in the music program, my world slightly crumbled.

One of my favorite quotes was found on the wall of the orchestra room in my high school. "After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." I love it, because it's true.

I'm jealous of music's honesty of emotion.

Watching a musician perform can be a really personal experience. It should be a really personal experience. A good musician writes melodies and lyrics that are intimate, characteristic and honest. Music is so honest. An honest expression. That's what I need. And that's why I'm gonna start writing.

1 comment:

  1. wow. I think one really tough thing about music, especially singing, is how intimately personal it is. (ha. you used both of those words, and I wasn't even looking.)It's like standing onstage naked, baring your soul to everyone. That's something that I definitely need to work on... letting me shine through my voice. :)

    ReplyDelete