2.17.2010

The Fear of the Unknown

I've always heard it said that humans have an innate fear of the unknown.
But that's not quite right, is it?

I mean, in order to fear something, anything, you have to know something, anything, first. If you put a newborn baby in a tank with crocodiles, will it fear them? No. Why not? Well, (1) because it's probably unaware that it is even with crocodiles in the first place, and (2) because it doesn't know anything about crocodiles yet... like their big long jaws full of sharp teeth, strong muscles, or carnivorous appetite.

One of my biggest fears is losing friendships. Why? Because it's happened, and it really sucked. Another one: coming into the possession of a great deal of money. Why? Because I've seen it's effects in others, and think I'd be vulnerable to the same corruption. It was only after I knew something about these things that I feared them. And it's only after any of us learn anything that we have something to fear.

Now, ironically, here I am with a fear of not knowing enough.
I know enough to know that there's more I should know, and not knowing how to get there... that's a huge reason to be afraid. I've come to terms with the fact that I have a large decision to make soon, about where I'm going to spend the next few years of my life, and what I'm going to be doing during them, but it's pretty hard to make a choice when you don't know all the options. God, give me the options. I want to be able to do all these things I'm dreaming of, but I just don't know how to get there.

Maybe that's the unknown that humans fear... the not knowing whether or not you'll make it out of this life with all those boxes on your to-do list checked off, with actually reaching those standards you've built your life around reaching.
A recent 2010 survey found that 46% of Americans are unhappy with their jobs. That means over half of this country is waking up each morning to face something unpleasant. (Coming to terms with this happy little realization, that what's we call a mid-life crisis.)

I don't want to part of the 54%.
I never did like being in the majority anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment